What are the signs of termites?
Termites are household pests that can destroy your home without you noticing them. They live in the damp and dark areas and feed on wooden parts of the property. Good as they are in hiding, you can still know their presence because termites do leave traces.
- Termites are light-coloured and are often mistaken as white ants. Do not get confused though, there is no such thing as white ants. So whenever you see some light-coloured ant-like insects around your house, you better be alerted.
- Another sign of possible termite infestation is the presence of flying termites. They leave their nest to find mates in another colony, which could be on your property. Any sighting of their discarded wings is enough to assume there is a colony of termites in your house.
- If you put your ear close to a wooden part of the house and hear some weird sound, there is a big chance those are termites feeding on the wood because they are very noisy eaters. If it sounds hollow or papery when you tap or knock on the wood, then termites have probably eaten the inside already.
- Dark powdery substance around the woodworks is a sure sign of termites. These are termite droppings.
- Tight fitting doors and windows might also mean termite alert. The moisture that the termites produce causes the door and window frames to warp, making them hard to open or close.
- Broken pieces of wood around your house with tunnels in them also means termites are likely nesting in your house.
If you encounter any of these signs, call our pest inspectors on 07 5445 3111. Have your home checked thoroughly using the latest thermal imaging technology and get some suggestions on how you can save your property before it is too late.